Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Learning New Skills

I've been crocheting since I was about 5 years old. Which, in reality is a very, very long time. I don't even have to think about what I'm doing anymore. I can phase out and create while watching tv, talking to someone else, it really doesn't matter anymore.

Last night, I picked up knitting needles for the first time in my life.

OMG! I feel like I have three left hands and no thumbs!!

Since I've decided to concentrate on only making scarves now in my shops, I thought it would be nice to have a mix of crocheted and knitted scarves. Each has their own use and beauty and not everyone likes both, right? So, why not offer the best of both worlds and hopefully satisfy as many people as I can.

It's going to take a while before I have knitted scarves available in my shop! LOL!

I started with a basic stockinette stitch I think it's called? Anyway, you knit one row, purl the next. It's going pretty well, the stitches are nice and even and the tension is good. It's just taking a very, very long time! I worked on it last night for about 2 hours and got about 2 inches of the scarf done! LOL!

I did notice my speed increasing after a while, and I understand it's just going to take some time to become proficient at it. It's just so odd for me after crocheting for so many years.

As soon as I master this stitch, I'm going to work on a cableknit scarf. Now that's going to be nice!!

2 comments:

Morrgan said...

Haha, sounds like we're the same but opposite - I can knit stuff in a jiffy while talking or watching something, but crocheting takes aaaaages. :) Good luck with the knitting!

MNHDesigns said...

Haha! That's funny, Morrgan! I guess it's all in what you've practiced, isn't it? LOL!