Sunday, December 21, 2008

What Was I Thinking??

We're getting right down to the wire for Christmas shopping. There are only 4 shopping days left and I don't have everyone done yet. I seriously have never left it this long. My stress level is rising by the day!

Friday we had our biggest snowstorm this year, which made it impossible to get out to do any shopping at all. Today is another huge storm, at least as big as the one on Friday. So, that made yesterday, Saturday the only viable shopping day this weekend. The last Saturday before Christmas, the only day this weekend where people could safely get out shopping.

So, I headed to the mall.

What was I thinking??

It's about an hour drive for us to get to any mall to shop. We live in a very remote community, out in the middle of God's country. My daughter and I hopped in the van yesterday and happily started towards our favourite mall.

My first clue was the backed up line of cars at the last set of lights before the mall turn. The cars were lined up all the block and around the corner. Yikes.

It took about 10 minutes or so to make it through that set of lights. Then a short jaunt into the parking lot and score a spot. No problem!

Inside the mall really wasn't that bad. There were a lot of people there, but everyone was in such a good mood! I was really quite pleasantly surprised. Everyone was smiling and laughing as we bumped into each other. It really was a very pleasant experience.

Then it was time to leave.

My daughter and I got into the van at 3:15.

We got out of the parking lot at 4:00.

I couldn't believe it! It was absolutely insane. I can't even begin to explain how crazy it was.

Really everyone was very patient and courteous. Everyone waited their turn and no one was overly aggressive. There were a few, but you'll always run into those.

Seriously, though. Forty-five minutes! Yikes!!!

Next year? No way, no how am I going anywhere near a mall on the last Saturday before Christmas. No way. No how.

4 comments:

Beth said...

My mom and I did it yesterday in the rain from 12 till 9:30. I know, we are nuts. But we are done!

MNHDesigns said...

Beth, I only wish we were done! We still have to go out again on Tuesday. Yikes again! LOL!

AnniKae said...

I can relate! I've been so busy enjoying the spirit of Christmas, I didn't get around to the actual shopping until Monday. I guess one good thing about that is, I didn't over shop this year.

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

Wow. I was in Halifax yesterday, and it was INSANE. It's so true that the parking and so on are more stressful than the shopping :)